Located in Belfort, at the foot of the cliff of the citadelle, THE LION OF BELFORT is a monumental sculpture made by the Alsatian sculptor Frédéric Bartholdi. It depicts a lying wounded lion ready to stand up on a rocky pedestal and commemorates the resistance of the city, besieged by the Prussians during the War of 1870, at the end of which the area corresponding to the current Territory of Belfort was the only part of Alsace to remain French.
THE CITADEL: at the top of the rocks, overlooking Belfort. The work of the Count of La Suze has marked the history of the city and protected it from attackers. Ditches, ramparts or Tour des Bourgeois...
THE LARGE UNDERGROUND: the Large Underground and its high-flying projections offer a visit where modernity and heritage blend in a scenography composed of panoramic sounds and lights.
Visit the old town and the Citadel of Belfort with THE TRACKLESS TRAIN to discover the city and its major monuments...
THE PANORAMIC TERRACE: located above the History Museum, it offers a 360° view of the old town of Belfort and the "blue line" from the Vosges to the foothills of the Jura.
- Conditions of visit (individuals) :
- Visit on your own at all times
- Guided tours at all times
- Type of amenities :
- Historic monument or place to visit
- Subject of tourist venue - historic building :
- Military heritage
- Outstanding small town or village
- Location :
- In town centre
- COVID-19 - Reprise de l'activité en 2020 :
- Services - cultural heritage :
- Amenities - cultural heritage :
- Recreational activities on site / cultural heritage :
- Temporary exhibitions