CHURCH OF RUPT-SUR-MOSELLE
The church of Saint-Etienne of Rupt-sur-Moselle :
The foundation of the Parish of Rupt-sur-Moselle probably dates back to the 7th century after the establishment of a monastery at the top of the Saint Mont.
At that time, a chapel was built on the site of the present church, under the name of "Parrochaige de Sainct Estene de Lonchamp".This religious building, with its walled cemetery, was to serve as a refuge in case of attack, the inhabitants gathered there to take into account seigneurial decisions.
1738 the first church was built in Rupt sur Moselle.
In the middle of the last century, it became too small to receive all parishioners. It was decided to extend it in 1846 (Rupt-sur-Moselle had 4,390 inhabitants).
The old church coverd an area of 360 m², the one that was built, so the present one, covers 927 m².
That time, it was decided to demolish the choir and the nave dating from the 18th century, but the bell tower and its base have been kept.
This part of the building asserts the historical value of this church.
- Conditions of visit (groups) :
- Visit on your own at all times
- Conditions of visit (individuals) :
- Tour of exterior only
- Type of amenities :
- Historic monument or place to visit
- Subject of tourist venue - historic building :
- Religious architecture
- Location :
- In town centre
- Pets welcome :