A gentle hike that will take you to Lake Sewen with its peat, and to the very different Lake Alfeld with its amazing dam.
Duration: 1h45 - Length: 6km - Elevation: +193m - Marking: Blue Rectangle
Access : From the top of the Ballon d'Alsace, go down towards Sewen which is on the D466.
Start : At the church of Sewen.
- From the car park next to the church, on the Place de la Fontaine, follow the direction Le Ballon d'Alsace.
- After about 150m, cross the bridge on the right and follow the direction "Sentier du lac".
- Then go on the path on the left and follow the board "Lac d'Alfeld" (blue rectangle markings). The path quickly reachs the banks of Lake Sewen and continues for several hundred metres ahead towards the Lake Alfeld.
- Take the last ascent to the dam following the blue rectangles marks and the direction of Alfeld. Enjoy the view of the waterfalls (follow the safety instructions)
- At the last crossing, do not follow the blue rectangles which leads you to the path on your right, but turn left and go forward until you reach the dam, which is at almost 100m. At the other end of the dam, you may have the opportunity to eat or drink something at the Auberge du Lac.
- To return, simply retrace your steps and follow the sign "Sewen" at the end of the route.
IGN map reference 3520 OT available in the tourist offices .
On the web side below you will find the Family hikes on the Vosges mountains : https://www.massif-des-vosges.com/famille/balades-famille-massif-des-vosges.htm